Below is the translation of a letter written by Behrouz Javid Tehrani. (For the original letter in farsi click on the title of this post) The translation may not be perfect as I am not a profesional translater but it is pretty accurate. I felt it was important for people to read his letter and to keep him in our toughts. He has also asked people to write to him in prison, so if that is something you are interested in you can find his address at the bottom of the page. If you do decide to write make sure to write neutral messages such as "you are in my thoughts" or " Stay Strong" so as not to cause him any trouble with the authorities.

I wrote a profile on Behrouz Tehrani about a year ago and its floating on the internet, I will find it and post it on the blog just to give everyone some background info about him.

Translation of Letter by Behrouz Javid Tehrani

It has been more then two years since I, Behrouz Javid Tehrani have been imprisoned. When two years ago the intelligence ministry agents raided my home and savagely attacked myself and my good friend Keyvan Rafai, subjecting us to severe beatings I know that I had committed no crime and that I would be acquitted.

I was a human rights activist and had not committed any criminal offence, however the Ministry of Intelligence accused me of being involved with the Mojahedin Khalq ( an armed opposition group), when they very well knew that I was just a human rights activist.

The only piece of evidence they had to support this charge was the fat that I had found a letter written by a political prisoner who was executed in the 1980’s mass executions, in the crack of my cell (in S.209 of the Evin Prison) and had widely published it on the internet as well as on certain American and European sites.

With the help of my lawyer and by maintaining my innocence I was acquitted of all charges against me except one. I was charged with participating in a demonstration in front of the UN building in Tehran. A gathering whose organizers are free and have never been charged, but many participants including the wife of Mr. Amir Heshmat Saran and the Wife of Mr. Omid Abbas GholiNejad (whose husbands were political prisoners at that time) as well as Ms. Shiva NazarAhari and a number of other women whose names escapes me as well as many others such as myself, Ali and Mohammad Tabarzadi (two sons of Heshmat Tabarzadi), Bina Darabzand, Dr. Farzad Hamidi, Hassan Ghysari were arrested.

Thankfully among the 100’s of people who were arrested all were eventually released except myself. It is Ironic that I was arrested by the Intelligence Services before ever making it to the site of the demonstration and the UN building. Due to this reason the Judiciary had no choice but to acquit me, however due to the lack of independence of the Judiciary and the pressure put on them by the Ministry of Intelligence they did not let me go.
The Judge at my trial Judge Hedad told me that I ad been sentenced to 8 years of imprisonment when I was originally arrested in 1999 for my participation in the July 1999 student demonstrations as well as for insulting the Supreme Leader Khamenei. According to him however the Supreme Leader had had mercy on me and reduced my sentence to four years (which I served from 1999-2003). However now he had changed his mind and I would have to serve the full 8 years.

The Judge also informed me that he would sentence me to 70 or 80 or even 100 lashes so that my sins will be forgiven and so that I would not be motivated to write letters or do any human rights activities while in prison. Shocked, I asked him “why lashes? Democracy, Freedom and Human Rights are what I believe in and what is in my mind, why do you have to destroy my back? “

Dear Friends, I am writing all of this for you so that you can know that I am still considered to be one of the prisoners of the famous July 1999 student demonstrations.

Long Live Iran

Behrouz Javid Tehrani

Please write to me at:
Karaj, Zendane Rajai Shahr (Gohardasht), Andarzgah 2, Salone 5 Faree

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    We won't forget you or your name Behrouz Jaan. One day the IRI will pay for their sins and it won't be with lashes.
    Long Live Free Iran.

Post a Comment