I have been thinking about these issues for a while now and I don't have the answers, just questions. Ofcourse I do also have my theories, but I am asking anyone who might know the answers to please enlighten me. About a month and a half ago Akbar Gangi was in the United States, promoting a hunger strike in support of three perticular political prisoners. None of those prisoners where students. This was at the very same time when Akbar Mohammadi was on hunger strike in Evin Prison. Why did Mr. Gangi forget about Akbar Mohammadi at a time when it was well known that he was on hunger strike and under very dangerous conditions? Another question why is it that while Akbar Mohammadi could not even get a medical leave to leave Iran, Akbar Gangi gets a visa to visit the United States of all places? How does anyone smuggle pictures of Akbar Gangi from the Evin prison while he was on hunger strike, when it is so difficult for other prisoners to let the outside world know about their plights and their hunger strikes? Call me paranoid but I find a few BIG holes in this picture. If anyone knows the answer to my questions please enlighten me, otherwise I have no choice but to come to the conclusion that Mr. Gangi orchestrated that hunger strike to steal all media attention while Mr. Mohammadi was dying in the Evin prison. A big distraction, and a disturbing one if you ask me.

5 Comments:

  1. sheernejad said...
    While I admit that it is possible that I could be wrong, I thought that Akbar Mohammadi's Hunger strike and death happened after Ganji came to the U.S. and he was already on tour. Akbar Ganji came to the US in July. In August, I believe Akbar Mohammadi couldn't take the harsh and brutal treatment in prison anymore, and started a ~ 9 day hunger strike. I don't think one's situation is related to the other except that both were treated brutally by the Iran's mullah regime.

    I think the Islamic Republic was afraid that Akbar Mohammadi was starting to turn into another Akbar Ganji, and learning from their mistakes of allowing Akbar Ganji become so well known, they took care of Akbar Mohammadi.
    Shiro_Khorshid said...
    thanx for the message, however you do not have the dates right. Akbar Mohammadi went on a two week hunger strike in mid july 14th-15th, at the very same time that Akbar Gangi had organized the hunger strike in the US. And my question was really not about the regime but more about the Actions of Akbar Gangi and why he did not try to bring Mr. Mohammadi's situation to light when he most certainly had the chance and why he didnt add Mohammadi's name to the list of political prisoners they were asking the regime to release.
    sheernejad said...
    I would have to look at the dates again. Then I guess I'm not sure. To play devil's advocate, I'd guess that perhaps there are so many political prisoners, that it becomes difficult to chose which one's plight to highlight. I imagine that Ganji chose those 3 particular political prisoners because each were representative of a particular movement. One was for women's rights, another for worker's rights and the third for intellectuals....

    But again, I am simply venturing guesses.
    Shiro_Khorshid said...
    Maybe so, but I would think if that was the case atleast one student should have been brought to the spotlight to highlight the student movement wouldn't you agree?
    thanx for your comments, I appriciate your point of view.
    sheernejad said...
    I do agree about bringing up at least one student. I don't know, maybe he was hesitant to use the student movement, because sometimes during their demonstrations, somehow windows would get broken and property would get damaged. Then those islamic fundementalists would accuse the pro-democracy students of being violent.

    You're welcome, I appreciate the discussions too. You got a nice energetic new blog, I like checking it out now and then.

Post a Comment